Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Online Teacher: It's All About You

How little I knew about online teaching when I first built my WriteWell courses!  First, I thought everyone would flock to them. The truth is that most people learn faster and more easily face-to-face in a classroom. Online learning is best as an adjunct.

Second, I found it was crucial and challenging to keep my teaching personal.  Writing is like breath: no one wants to know they have a problem, although everyone appreciates a mint. From a friend!

How do I monitor, say, 80 online learners?  These pictures show a recent printout of quiz scores in one course.  I pinned it on my wall and followed each learner's progress.  Then I sent out emails that encouraged good work and suggested resources.   

Because teaching is about the learner.  It's all about you.

No comments: