Friday, March 16, 2007

Proofread, Please

Your spell checker will not question the following errors:

1. X is non-complaint with rules.

2. The problem did not phase him.

3. I spent the evening pouring over books.

4. The appeal strikes a cord in Americans.

5. And, my favorite, here is an error that still lurks on a Web page designed to tell us how to write:
"...working at Coors purposes."
(Possibly the writer envisioned two people trying to collaborate while drinking beer?)

For those of you who are wondering, the corrections are
1. compliant
2. faze
3. poring
4. chord
5. cross

1 comment:

Julie said...

One error I see frequently is "breaks" instead of "brakes" (on a car). In fact, I see so many references to automotive "breaks" and "breaking" that I sometimes wonder if I'm the one who's got it wrong.